Saturday, November 15, 2008

First Post? My life on two wheels.

Geez, what a dumb post title. Should I be doing this?




Anyway, here's where I'm going to put stuff out there and see what happens. The title "I'm not you but I'm someone. Who?" kind of sums it up. In a lot of ways I'm not a typical person. But I move through life like lots of other people and stuff happens, and I think about it, and I'm putting it down here.


Let me talk about motorcycles. I feel Arlo Guthrie summed it up pretty well.


I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorcycle.

I don't want a tickle, I'd rather ride on my motorcycle.

I don't wanna die. Just want to ride on my motorcy.....cle.


As a kid, I was interested in mini-bikes when I was about 11. I had a friend who wanted one, too, and we pooled our allowances and bought a frame. We were going to keep it at his house - my parents were not excited about the idea. Then we'd buy a motor, wheels, chain & sprockets, centrifugal clutch, etc.


Well, our dreams were ahead of our skills at the time. One day we went to mini-bike dealer, and they had a used 2 cycle minibike for sale for about $50. Chuck and I looked at what we could do. I had a 1 1/4 HP engine I used to play with - had taken it apart and put it back together a couple of times. We had the frame. We had a couple of other things. With Chuck's dad we went over to the dealer, and they offered $20 for our assorted parts. We decided to buy the bike.


I went to my parents and asked them. "Don't waste your money on that" my dad said. So, I decided what he meant was don't use any more of my money - but my share of the frame, and the engine weren't money - so I still donated that to the cause, and Chuck ponied up the rest of the money and we were minibike owners. Boy were my parents mad.




No comments: